Reggie Bush Says NCAA Programs Not Working
Written by  {ga=staffwriters} // Friday, 17 September 2010 08:57 //

staton1Reggie Bush on Thursday claimed that his decision to give back the 2005 Heisman Trophy is "not an admission of guilt."

The Saints running back talked to the media for the first time since he forfeited his Heisman Trophy earlier this week on Thursday at the Saints training facility and said, "I felt just to kind of silence all the talk around it, all the negativity around it -- I felt like this would be the best decision to do right now so I could focus on being a part of the Saints."


"I'm not happy this happened" said Bush. "This is where it comes to. This is just a part of life. This is a part of growing pains and becoming more mature. You learn, You grow, You get stronger and hopefully you never make those mistakes again.

"Whatever the NCAA has, whatever programs they have, aren't working, and it needs to be changed. If it's not changed, it's going to continue, and it hasn't stopped yet. It's going to continue year after year, and you're going to see kids ineligible. You're going to see missing their junior and senior years  because the system doesn't work.

"Obviously something has to be changed. You've got universities making millions of dollars off those kids and they don't get paid. The majority of college athletes who come in on scholarships come in with nothing. That's where you have the problem. They're making all this money off these kids and giving them crumbs and surrounding these kids with money and telling them not to touch it."

Drew Brees said he agreed with Bush and that the Saints would continue to stick with Bush.

Saints coach Sean Payton said Bush didn't appear to be distracted by the talk of infractions by USC. He said that he believes that "Bush has matured a ton since we drafted him."

by Ed Staton

Buy your Saints and LSU jerseys at Louisiana Sports Talk

Facebook Live Videos
Playlist of Facebook Live Videos


Dead Pelican

Optimized-DeadPelican2 1 1