Today, Republican Party of Louisiana Chairman Roger Villere issued the following statement regarding reports that Rep. Vance McAllister would not seek re-election:
“While I would have liked to see Rep. McAllister close this chapter sooner, I was happy to hear of his decision to do what is best for his family and his constituents. Now that this situation is behind us, I am confident that voters in the 5th District will choose a strong conservative candidate in November.”
Earlier Monday morning, the Monroe News Star reported that the fifth District U.S. Rep. Vance McAllister won’t seek re-election this fall but will complete his term.
As first reported at thenewsstar.com, McAllister, R-Swartz, said he and his wife Kelly made the final decision Monday morning. The couple is flying to Washington, D.C. together today as Congress goes back into session.
McAllister has been under siege since a scandal broke before Easter when avideowas published showing the married congressman kissing a married former staffer.
“I am committed to serving the 5th District to the best of my ability through this term, but I also have to take care of my family as we work together to repair and strengthen the relationship I damaged,” McAllister said.
Kelly McAllister said the couples’ marriage remains intact.
“I’m behind him 100 percent,” she said.
Villere and Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal, urged McAllister to resign after the scandal news broke. After making the announcement, both were criticized as being hypocritical for not urging the same for Louisiana US Senator David Vitter, who had been embroiled in his own sex controversy and who is now running for Louisiana governor.