Brian Snyder / Reuters file
Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis announces his impending retirement at a news conference on Sept. 23.
PHILADELPHIA -- Six months after the Boston Marathon bombing, Police Commissioner Ed Davis described the attack as “still surreal” on Tuesday after watching a video of the terrorist attack at a gathering of international law enforcement officials.
Davis, addressing the annual conference of the International Association of Chiefs of Police, said significant security preparations that preceded the marathon were not sufficient to stop an attack by two terrorists who had no ties to international organized terrorists groups.
More than 10 years after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, Davis said the attack serves as a reminder that the threat of terrorism persists, but today often wears a different guise.
Wearing a blue suit and a white shirt, Davis, shared the stage with officials from the Cambridge police, Massachusetts state police, transit police, Boston FBI office and other agencies involved in the response to the marathon bombing and subsequent manhunt for the perpetrators.
Davis, who has previously said he intends to retire after Boston’s mayoral election in November, also indicated that he may be accelerating that timetable, saying he was pleased to be able to speak to his peers in “what is probably my last week in policing.”
He recalled watching the press begin to leave on April 15 after the first runners crossed the finish line and the sense of relief that came with the lifting of the international spotlight.