New Orleans: Beauregard Monument, UNO growth, Jim Croce, Francophonie FeaturedWritten by Bayoubuzz Staff
If you thought the Beauregard monument has been mothballed, think again. A new development:
WHAT: G. T. Beauregard Monument Development
WHO: Beauregard Monument Association, Dr. Richard Marksbury
WHEN: 11:00 a.m. Wednesday, September 6, 2017
WHERE: Beauregard Monument Pedestal – City Park
Rick Marksbury and the Beauregard Monument Association have a significant announcement regarding the G. T. Beauregard Equestrian Statue. A new legal development will be released on Wednesday, September 6th at 11:00 am by the monument pedestal in City Park.
TOUR DU MONDE DE LA FRANCOPHONIE
New Orleans is as French of a city on the Western Hemisphere you can get. It is featured as one of the global tour cities:
Tour du Monde de la Francophonie(Tour of the Francophone World) - a novel tour and celebration of the diverse world of Francophonie encompassing 25-hours of live content depicting the influence, history and cultural future and global impact of the French language from five continents and 23 destinations - will air on TV5MONDE.
The program will air live beginning at 7:00am/ET on September 21 and continue its global tour at 8:00am/ET on September 22 with North America hours emanating from the heavily Francophonie-influenced cities of New Orleans, Montreal, Plamondon and Vancouver. Tour du Monde de la Francophonie will be bolstered by the creative illustrations of noted fashion designer Jean-Charles de Castelbajac.
Remarked TV5MONDE Director General Yves Bigot, “French is with English the only language present on the five continents, we want to celebrate its vitality, and that of Francophones, their youth, their energy, their modernity, their initiatives, in all areas, cultural, economic, humanitarian, wherever they are on our planet. We share this objective with Michaëlle Jean, Secretary General of the International Organization of la Francophonie, another partner in this operation with our global network of French alliances.” He added, “With the 354 million homes in the world based in 198 countries in the world that TV5MONDE reaches – it is the lynchpin between all Francophones, providing a meeting point for this spectacular and illuminating globe-trekking journey.”
Discuss New Orleans: Beauregard Monument, UNO growth, Jim Croce, Francophonie below
Every hour, beginning with Paris, throughout the 25-hours of Tour du Monde de la Francophonie, the journalists of TV5MONDE and its global broadcast partners will file live reports. Following Paris the program will move each hour to another location in the opposite direction of the Earth's rotation, in order: Abidjan, Geneva, Brussels, Cayenne, Basse-Terre, Montreal, New Orleans, Plamondon, Vancouver, Papeete, Auckland, Noumea, Sydney, Seoul, Beijing, Phnom Penh, Mumbai, Lahore, Saint-Denis, Antananarivo, Beirut, and concluding in Kinshasa.
Featuring conversations with local Francophone personalities and dignitaries associated with the arts, economics, politics, science and sports, Tour du Monde de la Francophonie will offer a wide variety of on-site reports along with arts and music-related performances. Following the live portion of the program, two separate documentaries capturing the best-of-the-best moments – both a 52- and 90 minute versions subtitled the 14 languages (English, German, Dutch, Spanish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Arabic, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, Chinese Traditional, Chinese Simplified and Français) will be broadcast over all 12 of the TV5MONDE network feeds serving the USA, Latin America, Europe, France / Belgium / Switzerland, Middle East, Africa, Asia, Pacific and one serving Canada (TV5 Québec Canada).
- There are an estimated 274 million French speakers in the world, of which 212 million are daily speakers
• 77.2 million students have French as a language of instruction in 33 countries
• 84 countries and territories are members of the Organization internationale de la Francophonie
• More than half of French speakers live in Africa
• French is the 5th most spoken language in the world
• French is the 3rd most used language on the Internet
• There are 900,000 French teachers throughout the world
• French is the second language taught in American universities
Fifteen percent increases in enrollment of new freshmen and new graduate students have led to the best year-to-year percentage change in total enrollment at the University of New Orleans in eight years. The fall 2017 semester also represents the largest percentage increase in total undergraduate students at the University in eight years. The University’s total 2017 enrollment is 7,976 compared to 8,037 in the fall of 2016, a change of less than three-quarters of one percent.
“We are seeing significant increases in key areas and programs that are necessary for the University to create and sustain long-term enrollment growth, without sacrificing quality,” said President John Nicklow. “An enrollment turnaround is a multi-year challenge. The fact that our total enrollment is essentially even after only one full recruitment cycle means that our recently launched enrollment initiatives are having a measurable impact even more quickly than I had hoped.
“These enrollment figures indicate strong progress in reversing a far too long history of declines; it means we are nearly stabilized and poised for future growth. I am so proud of our faculty and staff who have worked diligently to improve our recruitment and retention efforts.”
Here are some of other highlights of the fall 2017 enrollment figures:
- The nearly one percent increase in undergraduate students (6,484 in 2017 vs. 6,442 in 2016) is the largest since 2009.
- There are 949 newly enrolled freshmen students who have an average ACT of 23 and high school GPA of 3.1. They are from 32 Louisiana parishes, 27 states and 16 countries.
- Out-of-state undergraduate students are up seven percent (590 in 2017 vs. 551 in 2016).
- Freshmen applications increased 16 percent in 2017 compared to 2016.
“We have new leadership in the area of enrollment services, and we are employing new tactics in how and when we communicate with prospective students and their parents,” Nicklow said. “We have also launched a new brand messaging and enrollment marketing campaign that we believe is already paying dividends. We are meeting exciting milestones as we seek to grow the University of New Orleans, and we already have several hundred applications for the fall 2018 semester at such an early date. I am very optimistic about our future.”
If you are interested in Jim Croce, the famous songwriter who met an untimely death and want to know more about the man and his musical family, here are two links of upcoming events in New Orleans.
Here is a link to the event and registration information:
Here is a facebook post if you'd like to share:
Please, feel free to contact me with any further information, or any suggestions. I'm available for in-person or phone interviews and announcements to help promote.
New Orleans news, New Orleans Louisiana, New Orleans La, New Orleans politics, State of LouisianaV
Latest from Bayoubuzz Staff
- LABI claims Louisiana No. 1 in startling rise in business taxes
- LABI announces Sonia Perez of AT&T as new Chairperson, new officers, board
- MEGA EVENTS: LABI'S Annual Meeting and Louisiana Governor's Economic Summit
- Governor Edwards names new CPRA official, designates $350M for coast
- Comparing past and present political and elections campaigns--Farwell, Williams, Chervenak
- A toast of New Year's past, present and future in Louisiana
- Should Trump deport certain Vietnamese? New Orleans Mayor Cantrell speaks out
- Get Holiday Punched, Wednesday at Politics with a Punch in New Orleans
- Welcome to Sanctuary City, New Orleans, Feel at Home
- New Orleans, a top worldwide winter wonderland for tourists