“This Session, lawmakers in both Houses explained to LFF, ‘We cannot raise revenue in a divided house.’ Subsequently, the so-called “controversial” issues such as the Marriage and Conscience Act and the prohibition on Sex Selection Abortion were killed quietly in committee. LFF’s interpretation of this effort is that socially-sensitive bills were held hostage in favor of raising tax revenue. This year’s Scorecard reflects legislative sentiment and includes the crucial fiscal votes,” Mills added.
Three Senators and 14 Representatives earned the Outstanding Family Advocate award by scoring 100 percent on LFF’s Scorecard. These 17 Legislators will receive LFF’s coveted Patrick Henry Award in a special ceremony during the 2015 Annual Legislative Awards Gala Thursday, September 24, 2015, at The Healing Place Church Arena in Baton Rouge.
An additional 26 Legislators–3 Senators and 23 Representatives—will be honored during LFF’s Awards Gala with the Family Advocate award by scoring 80 to 99 percent on LFF's Scorecard.
Life and Liberty Awards are given each year to legislators who successfully authored key legislation or initiative that promoted life, family and liberty. The 2015 Award recipients are as follows:
- Senator Gerald Long, R- Winnfield, SCR 69: Support Louisiana public students to assemble for religious expression and to express their religious beliefs.
- Representative Tim Burns, R- Mandeville, HB 153: Prohibits Material Harmful to Minors.
- Representative Valarie Hodges, R-Denham Springs, HB 836: Marriage Fraud Protection.
- Representative Katrina Jackson, D-Monroe, HB 635: Preserving Funding for Student Tuition Organizations.
- Representative John Schroder, R-Covington, HB 542: Phase out Common Core Testing.
- Representative Julie Stokes, R- Kenner, HB 489: Criminalizes Revenge Porn.
- Representative Thomas Willmott, R- Kenner, HB 603: Strengthens Safe Haven Law.
“We encourage each concerned Louisiana resident to use this scorecard and analyze how their lawmakers represented their family values!” Gene Mills, President of LFF, said.
(From press release)