Start the New Year off cooking with Holly’s EASIEST COOKBOOK: Too Hot in the Kitchen: Secrets to Sizzle At Any Age
NEW YEAR’S DAY ONE-POT MEAL
With Christmas behind us, the house is somewhat quiet again. I felt like I was on a cooking marathon with all my kids and spouses in town staying with us, as for some reason, every meal is eagerly anticipated! Now, for New Years! There are food traditions, especially in the south, when it comes to our New Year’s Day meal selection. Black-eyed peas and cabbage top the list of “must have” for luck and wealth—but who has time and energy to prepare a big meal, again? So, you will absolutely love my six ingredient New Years Day One-Pot Meal from Too Hot in the Kitchen, and literally you don’t have to cook anything; just layer it all together in one pot. This meaty hearty dish resembles rice dressing with all the components of New Year’s Day tradition. If your family doesn’t like cabbage, don’t tell them as the cabbage almost evaporates and just adds flavor to this family-pleasing one meal dish. Remember to rinse and drain your black-eyed peas or any beans to lower the sodium before adding to the recipe.
One Pot New Year’s Day Meal from Too Hot in the Kitchen: Secrets To Sizzle At Any Age.
Cabbage and black-eyed peas with meat and rice make this an ideal one-pot family meal for that lazy no-desire-to-cook day. And, it’s really good!
Makes 8 (1-cup) servings
6 cups shredded cabbage
1 cup rice
1 pound ground sirloin
1 (10-ounce) diced tomatoes and green chilies
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can beef broth
1 (15-ounce) can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven 350°F.
2. In large oven-proof pot, layer cabbage, rice, meat, tomatoes and green chilies, and beef broth.
3. Cook, covered, 1 hour 15 minutes, stirring after 40 minutes, until rice is tender and liquid absorbed. Stir in black-eyed peas and season to taste.
Nutritional information per serving:
Calories 212 Calories from fat 12% Fat 3g Saturated Fat 1g Cholesterol 31mg Sodium 446mg Carbohydrate 30g Dietary Fiber 3g Sugars 2g Protein 17g Dietary Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 very lean meat
· Download my new phone app FREE: Search Holly Clegg on iphone apps for Mobile Rush Hour Recipes with shopping list, photos, serving suggestions- grocery to table in one stop.
· WATCH: Holly’s trim&TERRIFIC® Kitchen on This Week in Louisiana Agriculture
· Holly’s Walmart webisode: Amazing easy holiday cake: White Chocolate Bundt Cake
· More of Holly’s cooking webisodes: www.walmart.com/greatvalue - scroll down
· Check out Holly’s new cookbook: Too Hot in the Kitchen: Secrets to Sizzle At Any Age
Bayoubuzz Newsletter - Sign Up Below