Here is a year-in-review by Michael Hecht, President and CEO of Greater New Orleans Inc.
- Enjoyed a record number of business development wins, worth nearly 3,500 total jobs, and $2.5B of investment, including Elmer Candy, the retention of a 160-year old company; EuroChem, a Russian multinational; Viking River Cruises, from Norway; TriWest Healthcare Alliance, serving veterans; and inXile Entertainment, an industry-leading tech company
- Recruited two key new conferences: Collision, the fastest growing tech conference in the world; and the championships of Major League Gaming, the fastest growing sport in the world
- Restarted direct air service to Central and South America, with Copa Airlines now flying nonstop to Panama City, and then to over 70 destinations beyond
- Helped drive key policy wins, including reauthorization of the Angel Investor Tax Credit at the local level; and reauthorization of the Export-Import Bank, passage of Trade Promotion Authority, funding for the Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base at Belle Chasse, and funding for the Economic Development Administration at the Federal level
- Were named “Most Effective Statewide Career Awareness and Exploration Initiative” for our World of Workprogram by Louisiana Department of Education
- Announced the new RES/CON conference, to be held March 1-3, which aims to be the “Davos of Resiliency” - establishing New Orleans as the global leader on environmental management
- Led the regional communications effort to commemorate the 10th Anniversary of Hurricane Katrina, including hosting a TEDxNewOrleans conference, and driving over 650 media pieces in national and international outlets